and Outdoor Cooking
and Outdoor Cooking
Our Fire Lighting and Outdoor Cooking training is one of our most popular courses, enabling educators to safely lead fire lighting and outdoor cooking experiences at schools or early years settings.
Fires and cooking are a memorable and deep learning experience for children of all ages, but they do represent a step up in risk management, and your competence and knowledge should reflect this. Learn more about our Fire Lighting and Outdoor Cooking training below, or visit our main training page to view our full range of courses.
Become an LtL member to get 50% off our range of online training courses.
The full day (or two half days) of training will cover:
- Your responsibilities and industry norms, including Risk Benefit Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments, Standard Operating Procedures, and Class Management
- The practical skills and knowledge required to light and manage fires
- Options for necessary equipment and resources
- The practical skills and knowledge to cook simple meals and drinks on small fires with your class
- The basics of food hygiene outdoors
- Curriculum links and opportunities, from science through to literacy and modern languages
- Putting it all together – from school policy through to personal practice
We do require an outdoor space to run this programme, either within the school grounds or a local greenspace. Wherever it is, we require landowner permission in place.
The course is entirely outdoors and hands on, and will therefore include sitting and kneeling on the ground, and being outdoors in all weathers for extended periods. Please come dressed for the weather and conditions.
A dated certificate of attendance will be provided to all attendees by email.
Is this training for me?
Read a statement from SAPOE on what training is needed to lead fire lighting and cooking in schools. Note that Forest School includes fires and cooking within the syllabus, but it is a much wider qualification and this is reflected in the time and cost. If you do not intend to run a Forest School, then this course is likely more appropriate and meets the requirements of most outdoor learning policies and insurers.
The course is usually delivered at your setting or hosted by a number of settings. Course costs are typically £595+vat and reasonable expenses per full day, for up to 15 staff. To enquire about booking, please complete the form below.