Local School Nature Grants
What do bird boxes, bee hotels, and nature experts all have in common? They’re all available for free as part of our Local School Nature Grants programme, supported by players of the People’s Postcode Lottery.
Open to schools and early years settings in England, Scotland, and Wales, this outdoor learning grant fund has two elements – £500 of outdoor equipment chosen from a catalogue of over 100 items, and an outdoor learning training course for your staff.
Learn more about the grants below or head straight to the application portal.
Discover our tips
for writing a winning
for writing a winning
Since their launch in 2017, our Local School Nature Grants have helped nearly 3,500 schools across England, Scotland, and Wales to improve their outdoor learning provision, enabling thousands more children to profit from time in nature.
2022 was our biggest and best year yet: we awarded 900 grants – more than any previous year.
There was a general lack of confidence with ideas to take outdoors, so the staff found the training hugely beneficial. Some said it was the best training they have ever had.
With a Local School Nature Grant, you’ll have a budget of £500 to mix and match on items from our product catalogue. We offer a wide variety of products to appeal to a broad range of age groups and projects. All the products are delivered direct to you from our partner suppliers.
The grants are available to all schools and early years settings in England, Scotland, and Wales only. Early years settings must employ at least five staff and have a dedicated building, either stand alone or part of a school. School nurseries and the attached school will be classed as one setting.
We cannot fund outside of the geographical limits. Individual childminders are not eligible to apply. If you have previously been awarded a Local School Nature Grant, you cannot apply again.
Please read the FAQ on the application portal for more information.
- The total spend on products cannot exceed £500.
- All prices include VAT and delivery.
- Any under-spend will be used to help further schools partake in the project and cannot be reimbursed to the school.
- Schools are welcome to select the same item multiple times, as long as the £500 budget is not exceeded.
- Items will be delivered to your site within three months of a successful application.
- We manage all the ordering and payments – you simply make a choice via the online catalogue.
- We cannot let you ‘top up’ the grant.
- The training will take place at your own site.
- You will have a choice of themes for the training session.
- The training will be outdoors and interactive (our preference), or delivered remotely online.
- Up to 30 staff can take part, although up to 15 (including the trainer) is preferred.
- We include handouts and follow up information, including lesson plans and ideas.
- You will have a choice of times and dates for the training session.
- All our staff are following strong Covid-19 protection protocols as well as our standard risk management processes.
|1||Friday 28th April 2023|
|2||Friday 9th June 2023|
|3||Friday 8th September 2023|
|4||Friday 10th November 2023|