Outdoor Learning and Play
Outdoor Learning and Play
Practitioner in Outdoor Learning and Play is for teachers who want to be confident in delivering outdoor learning experiences for their learners. Taking a curricular-linked approach, course participants will develop and understand quality outdoor learning and play provision, be inspired by practical ideas, and understand how to embed regular learning experiences outside the classroom.
Learn more about Practitioner in Outdoor Learning and Play below, or visit our main training page to view our full range of courses.
Become an LtL member to get 50% off our range of online training courses.
- To increase quality and quantity of curricular-linked outdoor learning
- To improve breaktimes and play for children
- To inspire improvements in school grounds and equip participants with tools to develop spaces
The 20-hour programme consists of ten 2-hour ‘modules’, which can be grouped into full-day, half-day or twilight sessions, or a combination of all. Multiple resources and handouts are included, including complimentary membership of LtL.
The long-term, collaborative and action-research led approach of the course ensures that the ideas and solutions are suited to your practice and learners. Each session has ‘homework’, where course participants have to take learning outdoors and return ready to reflect on their practice.
Upon completion of this course, participants are awarded with an attendance certificate and qualification to personally display the ‘LtL Practitioner in Outdoor Learning and Play’ logo.
- Each session takes a theme and an area of curriculum, including maths, English, STEM, art and social sciences. Themes include areas such as classroom management outdoors, developing your outdoor spaces, assessment and evidence, policy and planning
- Alongside formal learning we explore the power of play, and how that benefits your children and staff. Sessions look specifically at play practice in the school, and how we can develop richer play experiences for all
- Although focussed predominantly on the school grounds, the course also considers a place-responsive approach to using local greenspace and trips further afield as part of your school’s complete approach to learning outside the classroom. This ensures a regular and progressive outdoor learning experience for all your pupils
- We also explore how to take colleagues and parents on the journey with us. This involves building a culture change and we work with participants to develop a whole school approach to outdoor learning and play
Typical costs are £3600-£5800 dependent on format of the course. All courses are maximum of 20 participants, per head cost of £180-£290. All costs exclude VAT, any room hire costs and travel over 100 miles for our staff.
Bookings can be made by a hosting authority, academy chain, or other partnership of schools. To enquire about booking, please complete the form below.